Access Statement for Bench Cottage
Bench Cottage is one of a pair of semi-detached bungalows, purpose built under the National
Accessibility Scheme guidelines with complete level access through a private drive with off road
• We have a website – www.ourbench.co.uk which has details of the cottages, photos and
information about local amenities.
• Enquiries are welcome by email, phone or post.
• Booking confirmation is by completed booking form, online or returned by post. The Booking
Form and Terms and Conditions can be supplied in a large font if required.
• Guests will receive directions a welcome letter and their key code once the final payment
has been received. These can be supplied in a large font if required.
• Nearest shop is about ¼ mile by car or foot.
• Nearest town is Lymington approximately two miles away.
• The nearest railway station is at Lymington. The nearest mainline (London Waterloo) railway
station is at Brockenhurst, which has a lift to all platforms.
• There is a bus stop outside the cottages on Lodge Road.
• Accessible Taxis require booking, we have included details on our web site.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
• You will find the cottage up a private driveway between number 9 and number 11 Lodge
Road. Drive up and there are two painted parking bays at the top with turning space
opposite your holiday home. Turning may be tight if your vehicle is oversized. If you need to
park right outside your door you may do so to unload but please park in a bay as soon as
possible, so access is left for both cottages. If you have more than one car – please leave the
2nd car in the road, unless alternative arrangements have been agreed in advance.
• Access to each cottage is by a coded lock, where you will find your key. Guests are notified
of their code in advance.
• The owners, or their representative, are normally available via a phone call to assist with any
enquiries, and they will try and look in during your stay.
• Outside Bench Cottage there is a shared seating area with outdoor furniture to the front and
rear of the property.
• A small green outbuilding holds a shared tumble drier, can be found at the side of the
cottage along with the rubbish bins. There is an information sign here about what can be
• There are no steps on entering, you will find a low threshold door designed with wheelchairs
in mind – so level access throughout.
• The bungalow backs on to a sports field where the occasional cricket and football matches
Inside your cottage
• Bench Cottage is completely level with no ramps or steps anywhere inside the building.
• The outside door has a clear access of 790 mm, with a 35mm threshold height and all
internal doors are 860 mm.
• All lights and plugs are situated in an easy reach position.
• The floor is laid to short pile carpet with gripped vinyl flooring in the Wet room and Kitchen
Bedrooms & Sleeping Areas
• The master bedroom has a wardrobe, chest of drawers and bedside tables and side lights.
o There is one konturmatic profiling / carers bed, which is height adjustable - min
height - 560 mm, max height 880mm. This bed has adjustable bed rails fitted which
you can raise or lower to suit, they can also be removed at your own risk.
o One standard electric foot and head riser bed. This bed is also 520 mm high
o There is a ceiling hoist provided which moves across the centre of both beds, it is a
Westholme transActive hoist, with a two point spreader bar. It is suitable for up to
• Bench Cottage has a second twin bedroom which has a bed side table, suitcase stand and
some hanging space.
o It has two single beds, both standard electric foot and head riser beds with access
down the centre. These beds are 580mm high. There is an 800mm gap between the
• All beds have comfortable memory form mattresses, designed to relieve pressure sores, and
to move with the beds – they are supplied with duvets and pillows and are made ready for
your arrival. Note: duvets are non-feather, linen is cotton or polycotton. All beds have a
recommended maximum weight of 21 stone (133kg).
Shower-room / Wet Room / WC
• The fully accessible wet room is completely level.
• There is a Voyager 420 H Hoist (ceiling hoist fitted) enabling access around the bathroom.
• The shower head can be attached to either of the two integrated grab rails – so can be at the
correct height for wheelchair users and standing guests. The controls on the shower are
• We have a 175cm long wall mounted hinged changing stretcher (Changing bed) with
adjustable back rest, which folds back against the wall, which can be used in the shower
area. It is 175cm long and when folded down for use is at a height of 75cm. The H Hoist can
be used to position the guest as required.
• The toilet has side and space for lateral transfer. There is an adjustable toilet frame available
in the wet room if you need grabrails. The toilet is standard height toilet - 390mm high
• The wash hand basin is on a gas cylinder which means it can be raised or lowered (700mm830mm) into a comfortable position for washing.
• A heated towel rail is provided.
• Open plan kitchen / lounge dining area
• The open plan lounge and dining area has plenty of turning space with an electric
riser/recliner chair (seat height – 460mm, seat width 520mm) and a 2-seater settee and
• To allow maximum turning space the dining table and chairs are folding with the chairs
• Wall mounted flat screen television with DVD player and a remote control.
• The open plan fitted kitchen has lowered work surface at the hob and sink with wheel in
open space under. Dual height worktops - 920 mm and 795 mm
• The electric oven, dishwasher, washing machine and fridge are all easily accessed.
• Plates, cutlery, glassware and cooking equipment is provided for 4 guests.
• Our cottages have a thermostatically controlled central heating.
• Our cottages have their own washing machine in the cottage – a shared tumble dryer is
available in the green shed.
• Opposite the cottage is an outside water tap and an external electrical socket.
• The conversion has been carried out in line with the appropriate Building Regulations
covering such items as suitability.
• The cottage has sensor operated external lighting by its entrance.
• The cottage has smoke detectors/alarms, and suitable fire extinguishers/blankets.
• External doors in all cottages can be opened from the inside – they are only locked with the
• We are unable to accept dogs in this cottage.
• There is no land line in the Cottage and we recommend you bring a mobile phone with you,
Wifi is included and you will find the password in the welcome guide.
• We are completely non-smoking and ask that you refrain from smoking in the grounds.
• Bench Cottage can offer guests a range of accessible equipment to make each stay more
comfortable and enjoyable if required, from portable hoists (bring own sling) to wheelchairs,
and shower chairs. Details are available on our web site and must be booked in advance of
For your safety
• Our beds and the electric riser/recliner chair can only take a maximum of 21 stone (133kg) in
weight and the optional electric midi hoist 18 stone (114kg), if you need reinforced beds,
chairs etc – then we are sorry, but we are unable to accommodate you at this time.